Superfoods by Organicat

We've all heard about so-called "Superfoods" and how good they are for us...but if the idea of one more broiled salmon and steamed broccoli dinner drives you batty, come see what I'm cookin'!

Name:
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States

I'm a Foodie, Nutrition/Wellness Consultant and Personal Trainer. Eat well and love it.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Fungus Among Us...

Stinky cheese and wild mushrooms are my favorite foods in the world. Unfortunately, over the years, I've developed a nasty allergy to one of the proteins in milk (caesinate)...but there are still plenty of mushrooms to be had!

This time of the year, allergies, seasonal changes and cooler weather can contribute to the possibility of catching "a little something." For me, this year, the rampant SoCal fires coupled with raging Santa Ana winds filled my sinuses with grief and woe. It felt like the worst sinus infection, coupled with the worst flu! I wished I could call in sick! Instead, I raided my fridge to make a delicious soup that left me satisfied and breathing easily!

I took every mushroom I had in the house (crimini, shiitake, chantrelle and dried porcini), about 2.5 cups total, and food-processor-ed them in to a very fine dice along with 3 cloves garlic and one large shallot. In the hot pot, I toasted some dried sage before adding 2 Tbs olive oil and then seasoning and sauteeing the mushroom mixture. When the earthy aroma of those "fun-guys" emerged, I added some rich veggie stock; just enough to cover the contents of the pot. I brought this to a boil, then reduced the heat to a simmer, allowing it to reduce by about a quarter. I then added about 1.5 cups water, a bit more salt and pepper and simmered for another 10 minutes or so. By the time it was done, I had a rich, healing brew; enhanced by the robust flavors donated by the dried mushrooms. Not only could I breathe, but I felt like I could take on the world...then sleep soundly. What happened?

Studies have shown that soup and other foods that are high in water are more filling, but the power in this soup came from the protein! Yes, mushrooms are surprisingly high in the muscle-building stuff! They're actually more like animals than plants! They also boast plenty of anti-inflammitory phytonutrients. The best ones for fighting this season's woes? Maitake, Shiitake, Enoki and Crimini. Bring on the winter. I've got my mushrooms!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rani said...

Hi,

I just finished creating an infographic that I think is a good fit for your readers on Superfoods by Organicat.

It's called "7 Superfoods That Help You Live Longer." You can see it here.

I wanted to get in touch because while researching, I read the post you wrote about Superfoods, so I wanted to get in touch to see if you'd like to use my infographic, too.

I put HTML code that you can copy and paste below the image to make it easy to put on your site. If you'd like a different size, please let me know and I'll make it for you.

Thank you!

~ Melanie

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home